Thursday, June 28, 2012

It's A Tax

So said the Supreme Court ruling written by Chief Justice John Roberts and released today concerning the mandate portion of Obamacare.  The mandate, which requires that American citizens purchase health insurance, had been argued by its supporters as justified by the Constitutional clause giving Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce.  The ruling rejected that argument and instead held that penalizing those who do not buy health insurance is within the congressional power to tax.  Fox News has this report.

A few years ago, ironically, the president claimed that the mandate is not a tax.  I guess that in some cases, something is not a tax, except when it is.


I know that there are a lot of reactions out there to this ruling, but I'll link just this one.  I. M. Citizen, writing in White House 2012, thinks that "Chief Justice Roberts is a genius."

UPDATE:  On second thought, I'll put a link to one more reaction, because it's where I got the title of this post.  Stixblog gives it a humorous spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment