Monday, October 14, 2013

Music Break - Yet More Old Favorites

Some are well-known, others are not, but these are a few more of my favorite songs.  Some I enjoyed just after they came out, and others I learned about much later.

During the late 1970's, Brownsville Station recorded an eponymous album, for which the trio of longtime members Cub Koda (guitar/harmonica/vocals), Mike Lutz (bass/vocals) and Henry Weck (drums) added a fourth member Bruce "Beezer" Nazarian (guitars/vocals), who sang the lead on Hot Spit.


In 1974, Kiss released their first single Nothin' To Lose.  It didn't chart, but later on was often played in concert.  The lead vocals are shared by bassist Gene Simmons and original drummer Peter Criss.  The other original members were guitarists Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley.  Guest musician Bruce Foster plays piano.

Speaking of piano, the only rap song on which I can recall hearing one is Principal's Office by Young MC.  With the catchy piano part and lyrics that avoid f-words and n-words, this is my favorite rap number.

Shooter Jennings (real name Waylon Albright Jennings) is the son of country singers Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter (real name Miriam Johnson Eddy Jennings).  Although a country artist like his parents, some of Shooter's music sounds more like rock, as with Steady At The Wheel.

A few months back, when I saluted the 70th birthday of former Fleetwood Mac singer/keyboardist Christine McVie, I did not include my favorite song of hers, which is Think About Me from their 1979 album Tusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment