Monday, February 10, 2014

Obamacare Taxes Gym Memberships

It appears that we have yet another example of finding out what's in the Affordable (in the Orwellian sense) Care Act, to paraphrase a certain former House Speaker.  Ashley Pratte, an officer with Young America's Foundation, found that under the ACA, Black Card Memberships in Planet Fitness are subject to a tax.  As she recalls:
Immediately questioning why this tax was going to be added to my monthly membership fee of $19.99, I decided to ask a staff member. My first thought was that the tax was a result of the 10 percent tanning tax that was implemented in 2010 and revised in 2012.
The staff member told me that this was, in fact, where the tax was coming from and that a 5-cent tax would be added to my monthly membership.
Yes, the tax is minimal, but as far as Ms. Pratte is concerned, "it’s the principle of the matter."  Read her story at The Washington Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment