Thursday, May 8, 2014

A Brief Stop In Caen

After visiting the German cemetery at La Cambe, we proceeded on to the Peace Memorial in Caen, one of the larger cities in Normandy and capitol of the départment of Calvados and the region of Basse-Normandie (Lower Normandy).  At the memorial, we visited its museum, had lunch, and generally looked around.  I didn't find much worth photographing other than a few things outside of the building.

While wandering around, I found this pool, which appears to be the top of an artificial waterfall.

There were signs indicating the presence of an American garden and a Canadian garden.  I don't think I found the Canadian garden, but I did find their flag.  In the D-Day operations, Canadian forces landed in an area designated as Juno Beach, which was between the British areas of Gold Beach and Sword Beach.

There was a small park beside the memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment